Self Care Post Treatment
For maximum benefit it is recommended that you observe the following:
· Water- Please ensure that you drink at least one litre of still water each day (ideally more on the day of your treatment and the following day). Limit your intake of tea, coffee, alcohol and smoking for at least 24 hours following your treatment as these can slow down the healing process. If possible relax mentally and physically for the rest of the day, but avoid hot baths for 24 hours.
· Moving/Exercise- In the 48 hours following your Bowen treatment try not to sit still for more than 20 minutes at a time. A short walk around the room/desk will help with the bodies alignment and aid lymphatic drainage. Continue with any comfortable and gentle exercise regime that you already have, but avoid intensive exercise or twisting exercises such as yoga for 24 hours
· Responses- You are most likely to experience your strongest response 24-48 hours after your first session. You may feel as if you've had a gym workout with muscular aches particularly across the back. Other responses may include: tiredness, headaches, hot or cold flushes, emotional releases, thirst, energy bursts and/or an increased need to urinate. These are all positive signs of the healing process and the body releasing and flushing out toxins. These responses usually only last for 1-3 days so please continue to follow the 3 ‘W’s: wait, walk, water.
· Medication- Even if you feel a reduction in your symptoms do not alter any medication that has been prescribed for you without speaking with your doctor first.
· Heat and cold- Do not use deep heat rubs, ice packs or heat pads for at least 24 hours after your Bowen treatment.
· Other therapies- Whilst receiving Bowen it is best not to receive other physical therapy such as: acupuncture, reflexology, physiotherapy, osteopathy, massage, etc for at least five days before or after your Bowen treatment. This allows the body to respond to just one healing modality and gives a clearer measure of the body’s response to Bowen.